Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thing #11

Library Thing is a really cool way of cataloging books. I chose to catalog a few children's books. I have quite a collection, so I need to go through them to get a more complete list. I like being able to tag them. That would have been very helpful to me when I was a kindergarten teacher because I could have used the tags to go along with themes.

The groups were really interesting. There are several that I would like to follow, including, Librarians who Library Thing, Read YA Lit, Crime Thriller & Mystery. The first two groups appeal to me for professional reasons and the third appeals to me on a personal level. I am also interested in the author chat group.

I would like to introduce Library Thing to my students, particularly those students who are avid readers. I think that they would benefit from the variety of groups that are available, too.

5 comments:

  1. Having our students use the Library Thing to catalog or keep their reading log on is a great idea. I think they would get into keeping up with what they read and maybe even read a little more for those kiddos who don't like to read very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the tags are very helpful to the teachers who are looking for books relating to themes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea on using the tags for themes. It made me think that I'll start tagging my books by what I use them to teach as well, such as making connections or inferring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, agree about all the uses for Library Thing. It's much easier than updating our library web page all the time. So a link to Libray Thing will soon be appearing on our web page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are right about students using Library Thing. I think something like this would definitely get the "teen and tech" vibe going for our new middle school library. Plus, I know the impact that recommendations from peers can have.

    ReplyDelete